- KEMP has released a Free LoadMaster -
KEMP is offering the Free LoadMaster to help small companies and developers by providing them with a robust and proven load balancing option. As their load balancing needs grow and expand, they will be able to upgrade to a commercial version in the future, since they will already be comfortable with and knowledgeable about the LoadMaster.The availability of a proven free load balancer from a well-established company will enable many start-ups and QA/Dev teams to focus on the task at hand. They will no longer have to worry about addressing the trade-off between cost, quality and upgradeability associated with some open source and application-embedded load balancing solutions.
The Free LoadMaster is also great for existing KEMP customers who wish to replicate their production environment for UAT purposes. While there are some limiting differences between the Free LoadMaster and commercial versions, this community supported, lower performance model provides all of the same core functionality that is included in our commercial LoadMasters.
The Free LoadMaster Includes:
- Layer 4/7 load balancing
- Content switching
- Caching, compression engine
- MS Exchange 2010/2013 optimized
- Pre-configured virtual service templates
- IPS engine
- High Availability
- Edge Security Pack (ESP) – a Microsoft TMG replacement
- GSLB multi-site load balancing
- RESTful API
- Latest Fling from VMware Labs - VCS to VCVA Converter -
The VCS to VCVA Converter Appliance is the winning idea from the 2013 Fling Contest. It allows customers to migrate from Windows vCenter Server with an External Microsoft SQL Server Database to the vCenter Server Appliance with an embedded vPostgres database.
The Fling migrates the vCenter database, roles, permissions, privileges, certificates and inventory service. The target appliance will run at the same IP address as the source vCenter.
Download the VCS to VCVA Converter
- Please vote for NTPRO.NL at the top vBlog 2015 -
- Technical White Paper - VMware Product Security -
This white paper provides an overview of how VMware's committed to building trust with their customers is present in every facet of their comprehensive, risk-based software assurance process and is reinforced in their program structure.
VMware’s approach to product and information security addresses potential vulnerabilities within areas such as:
- Software product development
- Software supply chain
- Technology partnerships and ecosystems
- New Book: VMware vRealize Orchestrator Cookbook -
If you are a VMware administrator who is interested in automating your infrastructure, this book is for you. An understanding of basic programming concepts is advised.
No previous knowledge of Orchestrator is required, although some previous knowledge of it will allow you to get started more easily.What You Will Learn
Through this practical guide, you will gain an understanding of VMware vRealize Orchestrator and its role in the vSphere architecture and automation. You will learn about Orchestrator clusters as well as vRealize Automation integration.
- Install, configure, and optimize Orchestrator installations (Windows, Appliance as well as vRA integrated)
- Explore all the visual programming elements without the need for additional infrastructure
- Work with plugins such as SSH, mail, SQL, PowerShell, AD, SOAP, SNMP, AMQP, and REST
- Discover how to create VMware automation
- Get to grips with user management, synchronization, and packaging applications
- Understand policies and resources
- Work more efficiently with distributed Orchestrator environments
A full introduction to using the visual programming tools without needing any additional infrastructure is aimed at beginners with limited resources.
This is followed by an extensive look at how to integrate the base plugins into your workflows, such as e-mail, AMQP, SNMP, and so on. We will also look at how to use the Orchestrator API to trigger workflows from other programs.
Through this book you will be able to get the most out of your Orchestrator installation, and develop complex workflows and create your own highly integrated automations of vCenter, vCloud, and vRealize environments.
- Cool Tool - Snapwatcher -
Invalid or broken snapshots are caused by all kind of actions the system admin has no control of i. e. backup solutions that trigger the snapshot creation and deletion. If VMware struggles to delete the snapshot files an invalid snapshot is made. This kind of snapshots are known to be hard to detect and tend to grow hidden to waste precious disk space.
- Monitor VMware snapshots across VMware vCenter systems and report your efforts saving space.
- Track snapshots, find invalid snapshots - leverage the powerful grid to handle hundreds of snapshots smooth and simple.
- Free precious disk space wasted by fixing broken, old and invalid snapshots with a click.
- vSphere 6 Feature Walkthroughs -
Explore the features of VMware vSphere 6, the industry-leading server virtualization platform that lets you virtualize applications with confidence.
- vCenter Server Install - This series provides to instructions on installing various vCenter 6.0 components.
- vCenter Server Upgrades - Seamlessly upgrade from from vCenter Server and vCenter Server 5.x versions to version 6.0 with these walkthroughs.
- vSphere Data Protection - With this set of walkthroughs, learn how to perform vital activities that vSphere Data Protection 6.0 enables you to carry out.
- vSphere Replication - With these walkthroughs, learn how configure replication and recover a virtual machine.
- vCenter Server Install - This series provides to instructions on installing various vCenter 6.0 components.
- Maximizing the Use of VMware vRealize Operations for Horizon -
VMware vRealize Operations for Horizon, an extension of vRealize Operations Manager for the enterprise, enables you to monitor and troubleshoot a View virtual desktop environment.
This guide introduces you to navigation of the user interface and understanding alerts and events, as well as correct setup of the tool. Specific use cases illustrate how to troubleshoot problems in a View environment, and lab exercises offer guided practice.
This white paper describes how to maximize the use of your vRealize Operations for Horizon monitoring solution and includes use-case scenarios and lab exercises.
- Application-Delivery Options in VMware Horizon 6.0 -
VMware Horizon can deliver applications to users through View, Workspace, or Mirage. Horizon can deliver ThinApp virtual applications, Citrix XenApp published applications, SaaS- and cloud-based applications, natively installed Windows applications, and RDSH-hosted applications.
The wide choice of application-delivery options allows customization for a variety of use cases. This paper gives details on the benefits and use cases for each application-delivery option, along with explanations of how to deliver those applications on each application-delivery platform in Horizon.
Technical white paper: Application-Delivery Options in VMware Horizon 6.0
- Cool Tool - BaiBoard - Visualize, Create, Collaborate -
BaiBoard is the most innovative collaborative drawing application on Mac and iOS platform today. Connected with back-end services on the cloud, BaiBoard enables both consumers and enterprises to collaborate, share, publish, store, retrieve any diagrams.
Note that BaiBoard on iPad has more features than the Mac version, including:
- PDF annotation currently only available on iPad.
- Saving as stencil feature currently only available on iPad.
- Push-to-talk and chat feature currently on available on iPad.
- Real-time, Collaborative, with easy-to-use drawing interface.
- Internet based services for collaborating, sharing, storing, viewing with drawing capabilities.
- A variety of drawing tools.
- Instant snapshots, storing and retrieval any stage of your drawing, all on-demand.
- All data (diagrams, chat history, snapshots) of meeting session are persistently stored. Your meetings can be stopped and restarted at any time.
- SSL connectivities, Password protected, Encrypted storage.
- No registration, No sign-up required.
- Collaborate with the BaiBoard iPad version.
- Technical Overview - VMware vSphere Replication 6.0 -
VMware vSphere Replication 6.0 is a virtual machine data protection and disaster recovery solution. It is fully integrated with VMware vCenter Server and VMware vSphere Web Client, providing host-based, asynchronous replication of virtual machines.
vSphere Replication is a proprietary replication engine developed by VMware that is included with VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit and higher editions of VMware vSphere, VMware vSphere with Operations Management editions, and VMware vCloud Suite editions.
Technical Overview - VMware vSphere Replication 6.0
- Technical Overview - VMware vSphere Data Protection 6.0 -
Data protection is a key component of any business continuity plan. VMware vSphere Data Protection 6.0 provides an efficient solution for protecting a VMware virtual machine infrastructure.
vSphere Data Protection includes the capability to properly protect mission-critical applications via agents. Backup data can be securely and efficiently replicated to other vSphere Data Protection appliances within the same site and offsite for redundancy and disaster recovery purposes.
vSphere Data Protection can be integrated with EMC Data Domain. Deployment is quick and simple. Administration is easily performed using VMware vSphere Web Client.
Technical Overview - VMware vSphere Data Protection 6.0
- Performance Study - Virtualized Hadoop Performance with VMware vSphere 6 on HighPerformance Servers -
Large advances have been made in hardware and every level of the software stack since the virtualized Hadoop tests published in April 2013. This paper shows how to take advantage of these advances to achieve maximum performance.
The cluster size remains at 32 two-processor 2U hosts; however, the processor, memory, network and storage capabilities are all roughly doubled from those reported in the earlier paper. The performance of native and several VMware vSphere 6 virtualized configurations were compared using the same TeraSort application suite as before.
It was found that the more powerful hosts give a larger advantage to multi-VM per host configurations: virtualized TeraSort is now up to 12% faster than the optimized native configuration. The apples-to-apples case of a single virtual machine per host again shows performance close to that of native Linux.The origins of the improvements are examined and recommendations for optimal hardware and softwareconfigurations are given.
- Latest Fling from VMware Labs - VM Resource and Availability Service -
This Fling enables you to perform a what-if analysis for host failures on your infrastructure. You can simulate failure of one or more hosts from a cluster (in vSphere) and identify how many:
- VMs would be safely restarted on different hosts
- VMs would fail to be restarted on different hosts
- VMs would experience performance degradation after restarted on a different host
With this information, you can better plan the placement and configuration of your infrastructure to reduce downtime of your VMs/Services in case of host failures.
Also take a look at: New fling released: VM Resource and Availability Service
- New Training Course - VMware vRealize Automation: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.2] -
This training course focuses on installing, configuring, and managing VMware vRealize Automation.
This course covers the configuration and use of the vRealize Automation platform, including self-service provisioning and the creation of multivendor cloud services.
This class also helps students understand and achieve the benefits of automation as a component of the software-defined data center.
- Describe the vRealize Automation architecture and use case in today’s multivendor cloud environments
- Install and configure vRealize Automation 6.2
- Deploy Distributed Execution Managers and agents for vRealize Automation connectivity
- Configure endpoints to support compute fabric connectivity
- Manage vRealize Automation 6.2 entities on VMware hardware, third-party hardware, and cloud infrastructures
- Configure vRealize Automation infrastructure services
- Configure and manage tenants and blueprints
- Configure and manage a service catalog
- Configure and manage role-based access control
- Request and manage machines through the user portal
- Analyze and configure vRealize Automation workflows
- Integrate VMware vRealize Orchestrator with vRealize Automation
- Automate application provisioning with VMware vRealize™ Application Services
- Manage and monitor machines and resource reclamation
- Manage cost reporting with VMware vRealize Business
- Leveraging NIC Technology to Improve Network Performance in VMware vSphere -
VMware vSphere is constantly evolving to add many new features and functionality to incorporate the latest technology, and one area of this trend is network performance.
vSphere supports a variety of network interface controllers (NICs). Each NICs primary job is to deliver packets in and out of the host - however, NICs also include technology that vSphere can leverage to perform network transfer faster and more efficiently.
This paper examines scenarios of virtual machines sending and receiving network traffic across different hosts and how vSphere can take advantage of the NIC technology to improve network performance in a vSphere environment
- Using the VMware Mirage API to Develop Your Own Front-End Interfaces -
VMware Mirage 5.1, released in September 2014, includes a new and exciting feature: the Mirage API, which lets you develop your own front-end interfaces to the Mirage infrastructure.
This feature can make it easier to manage your endpoint devices. In addition, you can integrate your Mirage environment with third-party systems, such as scheduling and automation systems, to improve Mirage administrator efficiency and reduce the potential for manual errors.
This document contains some guidelines and best practices for developing applications that use the Mirage API.
- New Training Course - VMware NSX: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.1] - BETA -
Just a quick heads-up regarding the NSX training course. VMware is planning on releasing a new version. This comprehensive, fast-paced training course focuses on installing, configuring, and managing VMware NSX 6.1.
This course covers NSX as a part of the software-defined data center platform, implementation use cases along with features of NSX, and functionality operating at Layer 2 through Layer 7 of the OSI model.
Lecture and hands-on lab activities support the student’s understanding of NSX features, functionality, and on-going management and control.
VMware NSX: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.1] - BETA - Course Datasheet
- Available for pre order - Mastering VMware vSphere 6 -
Mastering VMware vSphere 6 is the fully updated edition of the bestselling guide to VMware’s virtualization solution. With comprehensive coverage of this industry-leading toolset, this book acts as an informative guide and valuable reference.
Step-by-step instruction walks you through installation, configuration, operation, security processes, and much more as you conquer the management and automation of your virtual environment.
Written by certified VMware vExperts, this indispensable guide provides hands-on instruction and detailed conceptual explanations, anchored by practical applications and real-world examples.This book is the ultimate guide to vSphere, helping administrators master their virtual environment. Learn to:
- Install, configure, and manage the vCenter Server components
- Leverage the Support Tools to provide maintenance and updates
- Create and configure virtual networks, storage devices, and virtual machines
- Implement the latest features to ensure compatibility and flexibility
- Manage resource allocation and utilization to meet application needs
- Monitor infrastructure performance and availability
- Automate and orchestrate routine administrative tasks
- New Technical White Paper - What’s New: VMware Virtual SAN 6.0 -
The new VMware Virtual SAN 6.0 is a second-generation hypervisor-converged enterprise-class storage solution for vSphere-virtualized infrastructures that combines the compute and storage resources of vSphere hosts.
With it’s two supported architectures hybrid and all-flash, Virtual SAN 6.0 is able to satisfy the demands of all virtualized applications, including business-critical applications.Virtual SAN 6.0 is a VMware-designed storage solution that makes software-defined storage a reality for VMware customers that delivers radically simple, hypervisor converged storage for virtual machines.
What’s New: VMware Virtual SAN 6.0